Today is no particular feast on the ordinary calendar [ferial day]. However harkening back to Sept 15th seems appropriate in light of yesterday’s disaster.
Our Lady of Sorrows (Latin: Beata Maria Virgo Perdolens), the Sorrowful Mother or Mother of Sorrows (Latin: Mater Dolorosa, at times just Dolorosa), and Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows or Our Lady of the Seven Dolours are names by which the Blessed Virgin Mary is referred to in relation to sorrows in her life. As “Mater Dolorosa“, it is also a key subject for Marian art in the Catholic Church.
The Seven Sorrows (or Dolors) are events in the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary which are a popular devotion and are frequently depicted in art.
- The Prophecy of Simeon. (Luke 2:34-35) or the Circumcision of Christ
- The Flight into Egypt. (Matthew 2:13)
- The Loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple. (Luke 2:43-45)
- Mary Meets Jesus on the Way to Calvary. (Luke 23:26)
- Jesus Dies on the Cross. (John 19:25)
- Mary Receives the Body of Jesus in Her Arms. (Matthew 27:57-59)
- The Body of Jesus is Placed in the Tomb. (John 19:40-42)