During this season of Miracles we often hear and read about the “War on Christmas” and efforts to remove and erase all references of Jesus Christ from our culture. This determination seems to increase each year, and in the near future children may lose all knowledge of the True Meaning of Christmas. As a professional in the disabilities field I work with the most vulnerable members of our community, and I am often very confused at what bothers and annoys so many people about Jesus and the historical and factual account of his shortened life on this earth. I am a devout Christian and believe Jesus Christ is God incarnate and my Lord and Savior. When I speak to individuals who are offended by Jesus I first ask if they know anything about his life and works on this earth, and these are some of the realities I relay to them:
- Jesus was born homeless, and he came from the impoverished city of Nazareth.
- Jesus grew up in a low income household and was a Jewish carpenter.
- Jesus had no degrees and spent his life helping and serving others.
- Jesus was a big champion of women’s and children’s rights during a time when both groups were looked down on and seen as subservient by the culture.
- Jesus embraced individuals with disabilities, and he worked to help and cure people with leprosy and other infirmities when society would cast them out.
- Jesus initiated some of the first food banks and fed 1000’s of hungry people with physical and spiritual food.
- Jesus was a peace activist and He utilized no weapons or armies.
- Jesus was a Revolutionary who challenged the ruling government and religious hierarchy of the time.
- Jesus was arrested, charged falsely and tortured to death by the ruling class of the time because He was arming common middle and lower class citizens with Truth and teaching them to love and respect each other.
I ask the question again “What is so offensive about this Man?” I am the father of a beautiful 9 year old daughter who has Down syndrome, and 90%+ of children like my Chloe are identified, targeted and eliminated prenatally because the culture of death we are living in has caused people to ignore truth and see these priceless children as defective. My Chloe will tell you that “Jesus made me perfect,” and truer words were never spoken! Maybe if during this Christmas season our misguided world would embrace Jesus and His works on this earth we could end the violence, hatred and evil that have infected our godless society.
John 8:32 “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”